Issue 93 – Term 2, May 2019
- INTERFACE News and Views
- ETV offers new creation and sharing options with V.5
- What is The Tahi Rua Toru Tech Challenge?
- INTERFACEXpo 2019: Have you booked your spot?
- Education equality project reaches out to rural China Seeing learning inequality between urban and rural primary school students in China spurred Violet Ge into action. And the University of Auckland graduate turned to social media to reach rural village communities.
- Know the facts with the Ministry’s Mythbusters Confirmed. Plausible. Busted. You know the routine from the popular TV show. Here the Ministry’s SummerRose Cooper does some mythbusting of her own around the new Digital Technologies and Hangarau Matihiko curriculum content.
- Special feature: Are you ready for robots in your classroom? Robotics has its challenges and teaching with robots can certainly add a layer of complexity. However, don’t be put off and relegate it to the ‘too hard’ basket. The activity can have huge rewards, bringing engaging and effective learning into your classroom, as you will see.
- Review: Sphero BOLT BOLT is the latest iteration of the popular, spherical robots – and comes with a few new tricks under its durable, scratch-resistant polycarbonate plastic shell.
- Our New Zealand Online: Facts about .school.nz
- Slip, slop, check the UV meter … and slap
It can be a challenge convincing kids that ultraviolet (UV) radiation is a danger, especially on a cloudy day. Anthony Hill’s solution was to design and build a UV meter – so they could measure the levels for themselves.
- Gamefroot Guide: Download the Nga Ta-karo art pack.
- File Share Four pages of online resources
- Competitions Some great prizes to be won!
- Ticking off a new role for AI: Taking the class roll From automation to speech recognition to predictive analysis, Artificial Intelligence (AI) is increasingly part in our lives. A new initiative is proposing the use of the technology to record student attendance, leaving teachers to focus on other things … like teaching.
- Events Diary